16 Oct GRUDGE SPENDING
- How much does an implant cost?
- How much do you charge for a consultation
- Do you charge medical aid rates?
- Can I have a quote for a [particular procedure]?
I would venture to say that the caller is using one of these or similar questions to open the conversation in looking for a good, honest dentist. They have a problem and they are seeking a solution.
A recent caller wanted a quote for implant procedures. She had seen another practitioner who had given her a quote and she wanted to know if we could do it cheaper.
She presented the pertinent treatment codes as well as a note in which she wrote “I currently have a bridge, but the back ‘pillar’ is busy crumbling away and has no filling left. I was scheduled for the above procedure on Friday, 14 October, but simply not in a position to pay a shortfall of almost R9000 . Your urgent help with this will be greatly appreciated.
Can you identify with her dilemma? I certainly can. She has a problem and she needs help.
Let’s analyse the situation together.
I replied to the email with a phone call because the work was scheduled for the very next day and she was looking for an immediate answer.
I asked the following questions:-
- Who is responsible for doing the final bridge?
- Has there been liason between the restorative dentist and the surgical colleague?
- What type implant system is to be used?
- Have she been presented with a total cost from start to finish?
- Has she been presented with treatment alternatives?
She was unable to answer these questions satisfactorily.
We are dealing with a problem in her mouth. Does she fully understand the proposed treatment and outcome?
Consider this. You are setting about building a new house. Does the electrician or plumber start doing his work without the direction of the architect?
All dental treatment begins with proper planning to achieve a sound long-term result.
Who is the architect for any dentistry especially implant dentistry.
It is the prosthodontist. Spend your money wisely.